Sunday, March 25, 2012

Madiba Restaurant Review

Sometimes the atmosphere of a place is worth paying for. I feel that way about Madiba. Walking into the place isn't quite like being transported to South Africa, but to a fun and funky, hip Brooklyn version of South Africa. Anyway, kudos to the interior designer. I love it.

The food lives up to the decor, as well. The curries are excellent, and the "monkey gland" sauce is delicious! No, no monkeys were harmed... it's a rich, sweet and tangy sauce that involves apricots and raisins.... This most recent visit, I wanted to keep it light, so I got the vegetable platter. I have to admit, I got envious of my dining companions' orders - it was a big plate of fresh, tasty veggies... but it was just veggies. And it was heavy on the asparagus, which I hate (yes, I'm weird.)  I'd particularly recommend the Bobotie or the "Bunny Chow" (it's a curry, not a carrot!).

We also got a pitcher of sangria (excellent, and plentiful), which I followed up with a "Black Diamond" cocktail (Kahlua and Amarula). My friend got the "Obama Mama," which involves a 'liberal' pour of rum!

195 Dekalb Ave
(between Adelphi St & Carlton Ave)
Brooklyn, NY 11205
Neighborhood: Fort Greene
(718) 855-9190

No comments:

Post a Comment