Sunday, March 25, 2012

Devachan Salon Review

I had just spent two weeks volunteering in the bush in Kenya, where I slept in a tent. I wanted to treat myself and I'm glad I did. I have naturally curly/kinky hair that I usually flat iron straight. I am going to do that less, so I decided to go to the pros to get a decent curly cut.

The $100 starting price that I was quoted over the phone for a cut scared me. The receptionist was talking to a woman who has been doing her own hair since middle school and who can count the number of times she's been to a hair salon on two hands. But I decided to keep my appointment.

When I walked in, I was promptly greeted and offered water, tea or juice and was told to go change into a champagne-colored robe. I was in and out in two hours -- and I'm black!! Virtually unheard of. And I didn't regret going, unlike some other experiences I've had in this city. They did try to sell me on some products -- somewhat annoyingly, but not overly aggressive -- and I went ahead and purchased one. But I didn't feel bad doing it. I walked out of there beaming, knowing that I can rock my hair in its natural state and look damn good.

560 Broadway
Lower Level
(between Spring St & Prince St)
New York, NY 10012
Neighborhood: SoHo
(212) 274-8686

No comments:

Post a Comment